Sunday, June 6, 2010

A weekend in Cottonwood

Josh & I went to Arizona to do a prep hike to help us get ready for hiking Mt. Whitney. So Josh & Jennifer, Shawn & Angie and John & Esther (family friends) went for a hike. We were so grateful to John & Esther for taking us and showing us these waterfalls in the Mingus Mountain we never knew had even existed. Well, to get to these waterfalls we had to hike a couple of miles to the canyon and then scale down several rocks holding on for dear life. Good thing Josh & Shawn were there to rescue Jennifer & Angie and keep us safe. We had a great time even though at certain times it was a little scary.


Here is the canyon where we did all of our hiking around and exploring.



While on our hike we heard Angie let out a scream, then she called us to come over to where she was at. This is what she almost stepped on. Yes, I would have screamed as well.



Jennifer scaling the rocks to get to the bottom so I could enjoy the beauty. There were several times while I was holding the rock not really having a strong grip just hoping and praying that I wouldn't fall the rest of the way down. I didn't want to land on all of the sharp rocks. It was crazy.



Angie & Jennifer thankfully we didn't fall.


Josh & Jennifer at the 1st set of waterfalls that we hiked to.



Okay, it must have been snake day and we just didn't get the memo. This snake scary looking I know right?! Well, he was tucked under these rocks and we had to step over the snake up onto the rocks to continue on our hike....not fun at all. Good thing we had our big strong husbands around to keep us safe.



Here is the final waterfall that we hiked to. It was about 60 feet tall. We all got in for a FREEZING cold swim, lets just say we didn't stay in the water too long. It sure cooled us off real quick.



Here is a view looking back from where we had just come from. It was a great prep hike for Mt. Whitney.



After our fun hike we went to Josh's parents house to relax and enjoy everything about being "home". Here are Josh & his mom enjoying a nice canoe ride in the Verde River near the lower fields at his parents house. Josh's mom has a little area for a fun beach for all her grand kids to enjoy. They also have the canoe which makes it fun as well.



Josh serenading Jennifer by singing Pavarotti.



Josh picking up where he left off working as a child. He was so excited to be able to lend a helping hand to his mom. Josh loved being able to get a little dirty even if it was to move some big rocks around. We had a blast as always in Cottonwood.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Jenn! I don't think I could have made it past that scary looking snake! I'm getting the creeps just thinking about it! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those rocks look scarier than what I imagined! I wasn't aware that Josh's parents had beach front property in ARIZONA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we love Cottonwood too! cool hike in AZ, we need to try that one!

    ReplyDelete